Zion was begun under the direction of the then "Western District Mission Board" in September 1896 when Candidate H.C. Frese began regular services. He also started a school, which, at that time, was a requirement for synodical membership. Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church U.A.C. was formally organized February 18, 1897, with 30 baptized members and 18 communicants. Worship services were held in various church buildings in the community, until the first white framed chapel was build at Ninth and Cedar around 1899. This building served the congregation for the next 46 years. The school, however, was discontinued in 1899 due to the pastor's poor health.
Over the next 40 years the congregation had her ups and downs. At times Zion was served by her own pastor and at times being by vacancy pastors. Between 1920 and 1963 Zion was part of a dual parish arrangement with St. Matthews Lutheran Church of Corning, Arkansas.
In 1943, Zion purchased property at the current location on Main and Relief. The present structure was completed and dedicated in 1947, when Zion had 130 communicants.
Zion Lutheran School was started in the basement fellowship hall in 1952, and the school building was completed in 1954. Classes, however, were discontinued in 2004.
Zion currently has 364 baptized souls, of which 306 are communicant members. Weekly attendance averages approximately 100 people (sharing two Sunday morning services).